freebsd7, radeon, xorg-server -> deadlock or so

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 10 00:53:16 UTC 2010

On 02/10/10 00:24, Oliver Pinter wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> After updated the xorg* and dri* and dependency, the system going to
> deadlock at second start of xserver. I think it is not an uniqe issue,
> as others wrote them at freebsd-x11:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2010-February/009370.html
>
> The symptoms:
> * independent from enabled or disabled DRI or GLX, first I think, this
> is the error, but not
> * the system going to deadlock state
> * no coredumps of xorgs
> * no panic, but the system is unusuable
> * independent from the driver: probed the radeon and radeonhd driver
> * independent from the WITHOUT_NOUVEAU or WITH_NOUVEAU compile options
> (make.conf)
> * the system is: FreeBSD peonia.teteny.bme.hu 7.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD
> 7.3-PRERELEASE #29 r203612+fa83fdf: Mon Feb  8 02:11:08 CET 2010
> root at peonia.teteny.bme.hu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/stable  amd64

I had a similar freezing on several FreeBSD 8.0 boxes with either
'radeon' or 'radeonhd/radeonhd-devel' with recent ports. With more
expensive graphics cards, like HD4830, HD4850 we never had the issue,
but with smaller cards, like HD4670. HD4670 never worked. HD4770 cards
work with explicit set

option "DRI" "OFF"

As far as I know,  WITHOUT_NOUVEAU does have no effect on the current
ports, since it is reported in ports/UPDATING, it prevents building
nouveau driver which is broken when using newer libdrm/dri and libGLUT,
but those new ports do not seem to be merged into the tree.

The situation is heavily unsatisfying, since one need an expensive
AMD/ATi Radeon card to gain non-3D poor functionality, where a cheaper
one should be do the same - but the cheaper ones don't work. Even if one
uses AMD64, the situattion is worse and I have no reason using
Linux-driver on a FreeBSD box. Hope the situation gets cleared in the
nearest future. It's a kind of deadlock. As I said, either spenig a lot
of money for a working RV770 based AMD graphics card with poor
functionality or nothing so far, since most smaller RV730 chips aren't
supported properly by the most recent drivers.

Regards,
Oliver