hardware for home use large storage

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 9 12:51:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
> Here's the list:
>
> http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8441629
>
> Just over $1K, and I've got 4 nice drives, ECC memory, and a server board.
> Going with the celeron saved a ton of cash with no impact on ZFS that I can
> discern, and again, going with a cheap tower case slashed the cost as well.
>  That whole combo works great.  Now when I use up those 6 SATA ports, I
> don't know how to get more cheaply, but I'll worry about that later...
>
> Charles

As long as those SATA ports are AHCI compliant, should work quite
nicely with a SiI port multiplier. Failing that, a simple 2 port SiI
PCI-E SATA card (supported by siis(4) driver) + 2 x SiI port
multiplier would give you 10 extra SATA ports.

My SiI PCI-E card cost £15, and the PM about £50, so it is about
£13/port, or ~$20/port. Probably can get the components cheaper in the
US actually. I also found some nice simple drive racks for £20/4
drives - not completely hotswappable, but much easier to replace than
screwed into the case.

Cheers

Tom