www/firefox: Firefox 3.6 crashes, Firefox 3.5.7 not

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Feb 9 09:44:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:41:34AM +0000, O. Hartmann wrote:
> On 02/08/10 21:42, Eitan Adler wrote:
> >I have no idea if this is related but from pkg-message
> >Firefox 3.6 and HTML5
> >
> >Certain functions used to display HTML5 elements need the sem module.
> >
> >If your Firefox crashes with the following message while viewing a
> >HTML5 page:
> >"Bad system call (core dumped)"
> >
> >you need to load the sem module (kldload sem).
> >
> >To load sem on every boot put the following into your
> >/boot/loader.conf:
> >sem_load="YES"
> >
> >On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:04 PM, O. Hartmann
> ><ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de <mailto:ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de>>
> >wrote:
> >
> >    On 02/08/10 16:20, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> >
> >        On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 13:32:25 +0000
> >        "O. Hartmann"<ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
> >        <mailto:ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de>>  wrote:
> >

> >            Today, I upgraded Firefox 3.5.7 (built yesterday) to
> >            Firefox 3.6. After
> >            deleting ~/.mozilla (after I did a buckup, of course), I
> >            tried a fresh
> >            start of 'firefox3'. After firefox showed up, I realized
> >            that no
> >            option-field (File, Extras etc) can be used, they are dead
> >            and after a
> >            few seconds I clicked them, firefox3 is crashing.
> >
> >            Since I recompiled firefox 3.5.7 yesterday I was wondering
> >            if this is
> >            due to some 'false' lib or dependency. Since I figured
> >            that I have
> >            similar trouble with Thunderbird 3.0.1 after I installed
> >            it, I suspect a
> >            faulty library causing this behaviour. With Thunderbird 3,
> >            I never
> >            solved the problem although I tried to rebuild everything with
> >            thunderbird via 'portmaster -f'. I'll did this with
> >            firefox 3.6 also,
> >            but with no success.
> >
> >            The crashing is observed on two nearly identical SMP
> >            FreeBSD 8.0/amd64
> >            STABLE boxes (make world of today), up-to-date ports. The
> >            crash is NOT
> >            observed on my private oldish UP box, nearly the same
> >            setup, OS at the
> >            same revision and ports up to date as of yesterday. Maybe
> >            this could be
> >            a hint.
> >
> >            Any hints or suggestions?
> >

> >        Try doing "ldd /usr/local/lib/firefox3/firefox-bin" and see if
> >        anything
> >        looks weird.
> >
> >    I did - and there is nothing weird.
> >
> >    I checked the installed libraries and they are all rebuild when
> >    rebuilding necessary dependencies for firefox3.
> >

> >        You can porbably ignore
> >        /usr/local/lib/firefox3/firefox-bin:
> >                libxul.so =>  not found (0x0)
> >                libmozjs.so =>  not found (0x0)
> >                libxpcom.so =>  not found (0x0)
> >        because run-mozilla.sh sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
> >        /usr/local/lib/firefox3 where these libraries are installed.
> >
> >        I merely deleted my old firefox 3.6 and reinstalled from the
> [...]

Sounds more like your system doesn't have IPv6 support enabled.  There
was a recent thread here on the lists about the latest Thunderbird doing
the same thing on a system/kernel without IPv6, and there's no way to
disable IPv6 support in the software (it's all hard-coded/no
--disable-ipv6 flag, etc.).