FreeBSD 8.0 i386 unable to boot...

Pierre-Luc Drouin pldrouin at pldrouin.net
Tue Feb 9 02:01:38 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have a hard time booting FreeBSD 8.0 on one of my machines. It is an
older Pentium with HyperThreading. It was running fine with 7.2 but the
kernel crashed after a buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/reboot of
8.0. I had not updated FreeBSD on that machine for a while so I decided
to burn a CD of 8.0 i386 (disc1) and boot the machine with it. This does
not work either however as the kernel wants to automatically reboot the
machine right after the "Probing Device" stage. Here is the error
message I get:

Going nowhere without my init cpuid = 1

Does anyone know what can be causing this and how to solve it?

Thanks!