one more load-cycle-count problem

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Feb 9 00:29:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Dan Naumov wrote:
> which essentially solves the problem. Note that going this route will
> probably involve rebuilding your entire array from scratch, because
> applying WDIDLE3 to the disk is likely to very slightly affect disk
> geometry, but just enough for hardware raid or ZFS or whatever to
> bark at you and refuse to continue using the drive in an existing
> pool (the affected disk can become very slightly smaller in
> capacity). Backup data, apply WDIDLE3 to all disks. Recreate the
> pool, restore backups. This will also void your warranty if used on
> the new WD drives, although it will still work just fine.

Errm.. Why would it change the geometry?

I have used this tool to change the settings on all my disks and it did
not in any way cause a problem booting later.

My disks are WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1/01.01A01

(1Tb "green" disks)

AFAIK it just tunes EEPROM settings, it doesn't reflash the firmware.

That said I have heard reports of it bricking a drive so I would test it
on one drive first (not that I did, I heard the bricking reports
later..)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum