hardware for home use large storage

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Feb 8 05:27:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Dan Langille wrote:
> Given that, what motherboard and RAM configuration would you
> recommend to work with FreeBSD [and probably ZFS].  The lists seems
> to indicate that more RAM is better with ZFS.

I have something similar (5x1Tb) - I have a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
with an Athlon X2 and 4Gb of RAM (only half filled - 2x2Gb)

The board has 5 SATA ports + 1 eSATA (I looped that back into the case
to connect to the DVD drive :).

I boot it off a 4Gb CF card in an IDE adapter. I think you could boot
off ZFS but it seemed a bit unreliable when I installed it so I opted
for a more straightforward method.

The CPU fan is fairly quiet (although a 3rd party one would probably be
quieter) and the rest of the motherboard is fanless.

The onboard video works great with radeonhd (it's a workstation for
someone as well as a file server).

Note that it doesn't support ECC, I don't know if that is a problem.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum