FreeBSD 8-Stable with Samba too slow

Danilo Mussolini danilomussolini at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 14:30:20 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have just installed FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE-201001 to work as a file server
running samba 3.3.9 installed by ports.
But, I don't know why, when I try to access the share by Windows or by
Linux, it is so slow. I takes a long time to give the authentication window
and when I manage authenticate It keeps so slow to browse directories and
files. And the interesting thing is that when I reach the share with my
files (*.iso for tests) after a long time and start a copy, the transfer
goes so good, in a normal gigabit speed.

I tried compiling and installing samba 3.4.5 and had the same behaviour .
Maybe it's not a samba issue.

I already have two freebsd file servers both with the 8-RELEASE version and
they're running ok!
In this case, I need to use the 8-STABLE version because of my disk
controller. So I don't know what could be happening.

Thanks in advance!

--
Danilo Mussolini Candido
danilomussolini at gmail.com