8.0 install fails to create filesystem ("unable to find device node")

Vitaly Magerya vmagerya at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:55:57 UTC 2010

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> Yes, ad0s1b is the swap, but I think it fails before doing newfs.
>> "Writing partition information to ad0" is the last message I see before
>> the error occurs, no newfs popups occur.

By the way, in the fixit console /dev has ad0b but not ad0s1b.

> Can you get this disk into a system (or the same system if booting off
> CD, etc.) where you can do the following to it and then retry the
> installation?
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0 bs=64k count=1
>
> No, this isn't a joke.  This should also clear up the GEOM label
> error/warning you see.

Yay, that did the trick.

I installed 8.0 into a usb flash and cleaned ad0 from there. The setup
successfully created the filesystems and is copying files right now.

Thank you! I hope that sysinstall will be able to recognize this
situation in future releases.