Zombie NFS writing from FreeBSD clients to FreeBSD 8.0 server with ZFS

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Feb 2 20:00:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, alan bryan wrote:

> [...]

yes - it appears so

> - Is the server replying to them with an error?

yes

> The above might give some insight into what's happening,

Didn't help much. The server is replying with NFS3ERR_IO (EIO) for
some reason. Unfortunately EIO is the catch all for just about
everything. (There is only one case in the NFS server code that
generates EIO and that would be caused by a bogus data mbuf list.)
As such, I suspect the EIO is coming from ZFS for some reason, but
can't be sure.

Btw, a binary capture using tcpdump can be read into wireshark, which
is much better at decoding NFS etc than tcpdump.

rick