Problem with Mergemaster and FreeBSD Service Jails

Ruben Lara bermejator at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 06:53:43 UTC 2010

Hi all!

I have several freebsd service jail like: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/jails-application.html

I just upgrade world from RELENG_7_1 to RELENG_8.
Now, i need to run mergemaster in each jail to updgrade configuration files.

My first attempts of mergemaster i get:

*** Beginning comparison

   *** Checking /etc/rc.d for stale files

   *** No stale files found

*** The installed file /etc has the type "symbolic link"
    but the new version has the type "directory"

    How would you like to handle this?

    Use 'r' to remove /etc
    You will be able to install it as a "directory"

    Use 'i' to ignore this

    How to proceed? [i] i

*** See the man page about adding /etc to the list of IGNORE_FILES
 *** Press the [Enter] or [Return] key to continue

And similar with other simlinks neccessary to run freebsd service jails:

# ln -s s/etc etc
# ln -s s/root root
# ln -s s/home home
# ln -s ../s/usr-local usr/local
# ln -s ../s/usr-X11R6 usr/X11R6
# ln -s s/tmp tmp
# ln -s s/var var

I think mergemaster is not updating my configuration files, at end of proccess i get (i ignore often):

  *** There is no installed version of ./.cshrc

  Use 'd' to delete the temporary ./.cshrc
  Use 'i' to install the temporary ./.cshrc

  Default is to leave the temporary file to deal with by hand

How should I deal with this? [Leave it for later] i

install: //.cshrc: Read-only file system
*** FATAL ERROR: Unable to install ./.cshrc to /

I never have this problem before, i have my jails running for years...

Anybody can help me???
Thank you
Rubén Lara