7.3-BETA1 Available... [memstick.img?]

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Feb 1 02:56:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>     Could you please describe the process to me in more detail (i.e
> what tools are used, high-level process req'd, etc)? I am going to be
> doing something similar for work [at Ironport] and if I can do it in
> a better manner and it would be accepted into the tree, that would be
> the option I'd take for resolving this bootable media, for my work as
> well as for the community as a whole.

I do a make release then run this script on the resulting DVD
directory..
http://www.gsoft.com.au/~doconnor/makeusb.sh

ie..
/tmp/makeusb.sh /tmp/${RELNAME}-release/R/cdrom/dvd1 /dev/da1

Then mount it onto /mnt and do
cp -r /tmp/${RELNAME}-release/R/cdrom/dvd1/${BUILDNAME} /mnt

It creates an MFS using makefs which syslinux can load and then the
loader runs, loads the kernel and the MFS (nested MFS - bleh) and then
boots as usual for an install.

Once the kernel starts the USB stick is accessable as daX as a FAT
partition.

I have tried getting syslinux to just run the loader from an MFS (which
works) but I can't get the loader to read the USB stick for some reason
even though AFAICS it should grok FAT32 disks. I didn't really know how
to debug it any further though so I went with the less elegant MFS in
MFS route.

Also I imagine gpart could be used (in HEAD anyway) instead of the fdisk
voodoo I have.

Note that while it references logo.lss it doesn't actually copy it over
(it's my company's logo, but anything would suffice and it's optional -
syslinux ignores the directive if the file doesn't exist)

I hope you find it useful and it gets in the tree :)

Thanks.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum