Kernel/World Upgrade causes Hang

Troy troy at twisted.net
Tue Dec 28 01:14:57 UTC 2010

Sorry.

I am on the RELENG_8 tree and I believe it was building 8.2pre.  I did
the build about 4 days ago.  I am building a custom kernel.  Yes I
definitely built the world before the kernel and it worked. I did not
use -J anything.   There is no boot message, it just hangs with what I
wrote below.  Below is the kernel config I'm using.

machine         amd64
cpu             HAMMER
ident           servername-removed

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints          "GENERIC.hints"         # Default places to look for
devices.

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
symbols

options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption
options         INET                    # InterNETworking
options         SCTP                    # Stream Control Transmission
Protocol
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big
directories
options         UFS_GJOURNAL            # Enable gjournal-based UFS
journaling
options         MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
options         NFSLOCKD                # Network Lock Manager
options         NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires
NFSCLIENT
options         NTFS                    # NT File System
options         MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires
PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_PART_GPT           # GUID Partition Tables.
options         GEOM_LABEL              # Provides labelization
options         COMPAT_43TTY            # BSD 4.3 TTY compat (sgtty)
options         COMPAT_IA32             # Compatible with i386 binaries
options         COMPAT_43               # Needed by COMPAT_LINUX32
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD6         # Compatible with FreeBSD6
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD7         # Compatible with FreeBSD7
options         COMPAT_LINUX32          # Compatible with i386 linux
binaries
options         SCSI_DELAY=5000         # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
options         STACK                   # stack(9) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES     # POSIX-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=128    # Prevent printf output being
interspersed.
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         HWPMC_HOOKS             # Necessary kernel hooks for
hwpmc(4)
options         AUDIT                   # Security event auditing
options         MAC                     # TrustedBSD MAC Framework
options         FLOWTABLE               # per-cpu routing cache
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
options         IPSTEALTH
options INVARIANTS
options INVARIANT_SUPPORT

# Make an SMP-capable kernel by default
  options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel

# CPU frequency control
  device         cpufreq

# For SMBFS - mount_smbfs to work by users
options SMBFS                           # SMB/CIFS filesystem
options NETSMB                  # SMB/CIFS requester
options LIBMCHAIN               # MBUF management library
options LIBICONV                        # Kernel side iconv library

# Workarounds for some known-to-be-broken chipsets (nVidia nForce3-Pro150)
device          atpic                   # 8259A compatability

# Linux 32-bit ABI support
options         LINPROCFS               # Cannot be a module yet.

# Bus support.
device          acpi
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering

# SCSI Controllers
device          ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
options         AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                         # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
device          ahd             # AHA39320/29320 and onboard AIC79xx devices
options         AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                         # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
device          amd             # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
device          isp             # Qlogic family
device          mpt             # LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
device          sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets +
those of `ncr')
device          trm             # Tekram DC395U/UW/F DC315U adapters

device          adv             # Advansys SCSI adapters
device          adw             # Advansys wide SCSI adapters
device          aic             # Adaptec 15[012]x SCSI adapters,
AIC-6[23]60.
device          bt                      # Buslogic/Mylex MultiMaster
SCSI adapters

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          ch                      # SCSI media changers
device          da                      # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa                      # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd                      # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# RAID controllers interfaced to the SCSI subsystem
device          twa             # 3ware 9000 series PATA/SATA RAID

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          kbdmux          # keyboard multiplexer
device          vga             # VGA video card driver
device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support
options     VGA_WIDTH90
options     SC_PIXEL_MODE

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc
device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets

# Serial (COM) ports
device          uart            # Generic UART driver

# Parallel port
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet

# Pseudo devices.
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          random          # Entropy device
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          vlan            # 802.1Q VLAN support
device          snp             # Snoop support
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"
device          firmware        # firmware assist module

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse

# USB Ethernet, requires miibus
device          aue             # ADMtek USB Ethernet
device          axe             # ASIX Electronics USB Ethernet
device          cdce            # Generic USB over Ethernet
device          cue             # CATC USB Ethernet
device          kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB Ethernet
device          rue             # RealTek RTL8150 USB Ethernet
device          udav            # Davicom DM9601E USB