Accidentally aborted upgrade via freebsd-update - how to recover?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 28 00:52:05 UTC 2010

On 12/27/2010 16:40, Damien Fleuriot wrote:

> On 12/27/10 11:58 PM, Clifton Royston wrote:
>>
>>    OK, and oh well...  I wish there were some way to automate the diffing
>> out of the $FreeBSD lines.  I suppose those might be the artifact of
>> some previous upgrade, so that the file version present is not the one
>> expected for FreeBSD 6.1.
>>
>>    -- Clifton
>>

> Wait, do you mean like, mergemaster -F ?
>
> Excerpt from the manual:
>       -F          If the files differ only by VCS Id ($FreeBSD) install
> the new file.
>

> I've discovered this rather recently, it's a *lifesaver*
>
> This comes from fbsd7's version though, I can not say for the one you're
> still running on fbsd6

You always want to run mergemaster from the version you are upgrading
_to_. It doesn't happen often (by design) but occasionally mergemaster
has to grow "special knowledge" of specific files/directories/etc. in a
new FreeBSD version.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go