The FreeBSD 7.4-BETA1 CD wont boot properly on this machine

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Dec 20 19:03:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:30:59 +0000
Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you try installing using a different computer onto that hard drive?

Nope, not yet. Looking for easier alternatives first.

> Is the hardware supported by 7.x
> (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.3R/hardware.html for pointers)

Well, AFAICT, it should work. Nothing odd or non-standard. Again, AFAICT.

> Is there a reason you want 7.4 rather than 8.1?

The machine already runs 8.1 (see [1]). Sorry for not making that clear.
(in my defence, the information is available on the page I referenced in my post,
but obviously nobody bothered to check that. Oh well.)
Now I want to install 7.4 on another partition, so I can test
that release as well.

I always try to install as many different releases on a machine as I can / have space for;
it has proven useful in the past, and it is my small way to help FreeBSD developers
by testing as much (many releases / branches) as I can, on as much hardware as I can.