/etc/rc.d/named stop (Was: Re: RFC: Upgrade BIND version in RELENG_7 to BIND 9.6.x)

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 19 00:24:41 UTC 2010

On 12/18/2010 16:10, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2010, at 3:50 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 12/18/2010 15:41, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>>> /usr/local/sbin/named from ports seems to be using a
>>> /var/named/var/run/named/named.pid file instead.
>>
>> You're not using the default named.conf file then.
>
> Nope.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

> It would be handy if named grew an option flag to control the pidfile
> location, so that the rc.d script could be sure that it is looking at
> the appropriate place.

Yes, I have that on my list, but haven't gotten enough round 'tuits.
OTOH: grep named_pidfile /etc/defaults/rc.conf
named_pidfile="/var/run/named/pid" # Must set this in named.conf as well

> Failing that, however, I find it a bit surprising that I'd need to
> override some compiled-in default location in the config to make
> things work, when I'm not changing the defaults myself and named is
> being chroot'ed under a filesystem tree which the rc.d script is free
> to adjust as it needs to for things to align without symlink
> duct-tape.  :-)

The symlink is necessary because of the way the named chroot works.

Doug

			-- OK Go