ntpd fails on boot

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Dec 15 00:47:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 05:38:49PM -0700, Dan Allen wrote:
> Recently my network connection now is setup AFTER ntpd is launched rather than before.
>
> So when ntpd starts there is no net connection and it gives up.
>
> I read /usr/src/UPDATING but nothing is mentioned about a change in boot order.
>
> Any ideas?

This issue has been discussed pretty thoroughly in the past.  There's no
official solution, but there is an rc.d script I wrote which addresses
this shortcoming.  Nothing related to the "boot order" has changed, but
network drivers and overall methodology has changed.

Anyway, many people are using the below with success.

http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/netwait

Official patches, including the rc.conf(5) change I propose:

http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/netwait_patches/

Example usage (in rc.conf):

netwait_enable="yes"
netwait_ip="4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2"
netwait_if="em0"

For what these variables mean, please see the script itself.  They are
thoroughly documented.