how to access the SOL (Serial over Lan) port in FreeBSD ?

Pawel Tyll ptyll at nitronet.pl
Tue Dec 14 21:14:27 UTC 2010

Hi Luigi,

> i recently bought two motherboards with Intel AMT support,
> a remote management tool which among other things implements
> Serial Over Lan (SOL) -- which seems to be accessible
> via TCP port 16994

> I have enabled the feature in the bios and built a client
> (amtterm, see http://dl.bytesex.org/releases/amtterm/ )
> which does connect to the port, but there is no data.

> Especially, on the FreeBSD side i see no "uart" device
> associated with the SOL port, only uart0 which is the
> physical serial port on board.

> Any idea on how to make the SOL port visible ?
> I am using a stock 8.2-beta kernel for amd64,
> tried to load ipmi but it makes no difference.
I'm using Intel servers with Intel motherboards, they are IPMI-capable
and both LAN and SOL are implemented by bridging with onboard ethernet
and serial port. After loading IPMI driver and configuring IPMI using
ipmitool (/usr/ports/sysutils/ipmitool), SOL is accessible via
built-in ssh shell that listens on IPMI IP, or ipmitool running from
remote. No additional serial ports nor ethernet adapters are exposed
to the system, and you cannot connect to IPMI IP from local machine.

Cheers.