8.2-PRERELEASE freezing on reboot (-current OK)

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 23:46:46 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arno J. Klaassen" <arno at heho.snv.jussieu.fr>

> Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:37:32AM +0100, Arno J. Klaassen wrote:
>>> just FYI that on an 8-way Tyan S3992-E based box, a reboot under
>>> 8.2-PRERELEASE (in fact, 8-stable since quite a while) makes the box
>>> freeze, whilst the same thing under -current works OK.
>>
>> Try toggling these two sysctls on the 8.2-PRERELEASE box.  Be sure to
>> check what the defaults are before toggling them, and only mess with one
>> at a time.
>>
>> hw.acpi.handle_reboot
>> hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot
>
> nope, no difference. Defaults are 0 for both sysctls, both on -current
> and -8-stable.
>
> I noticed that -current prints 'cpu_reset: Stopping other CPUs' at the
> very end were -8-stable doesn't.
>
> Thanx for your answer, best, Arno

Ooo we had that on a box here on Friday that was running a recent stable,
thought it was an isolated incident, possibly not! Will try those options
if it happens again but I know this hardware doesn't usually have issues
rebooting, so if that fixes its a recent issue in stable.

    Regards
    Steve

P.S. Resend to test mailman fix, so appologies to anyone who gets this
more than once, but my mails have been bouncing from the lists.