8.1 livelock/hangup: possible actions

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Mon Dec 13 20:06:17 UTC 2010

On 2010-Dec-11 18:14:28 +0500, "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz at norma.perm.ru> wrote:
>I'm having problems with 8.1-REL/zfs/amd64. It's a IMB x3250 m2 system,
>1Gb RAM, dualcore intel e3110, two bge(4) and LSI1064e disk controller.

1GB RAM is really light on for ZFS and there are some known ARC issues
in 8.1 that can lead to free memory starvation.  The most obvious
indicator of this issue is that "free" memory reported by "top" OR
"systat -v" drops _very_ low although there is plenty of "cache" and
"inactive" memory.

If you can't update to 8-stable, try changing arc_memory_throttle()
in /usr/src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/arc.c
to have
        uint64_t available_memory = ptoa((uintmax_t)cnt.v_free_count
            + cnt.v_cache_count);
instead of
        uint64_t available_memory = ptoa((uintmax_t)cnt.v_free_count);
at the top of the function.  This fixes the worst bug but there are
lots of other fixes if you upgrade.

--
Peter Jeremy