umass: AutoSense failed

Andriy Gapon avg at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 10 15:22:00 UTC 2010

on 10/12/2010 16:47 Bruce Cran said the following:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:40:05 -0500
> Paul Mather <paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> I get something similar to this happening on 8.2-PRERELEASE.  In my
>> case, it's not during boot probing or device attachment.  Instead, it
>> happens occasionally after boot.  The devices concerned are Maxtor
>> OneTouch external USB hard drives.  Every now and then, I will get
>> something akin to the following crop up in the console log:
>>
>> (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): AutoSense failed
>
> I'm seeing the same with a USB card reader and an 8GB card on CURRENT:
> after a while I'll get "AutoSense failed" and the device stops
> responding.

I looked at the code a little and I guess that the source of this message is
umass_cam_sense_cb(), specifically the default case of the status switch.
Which means that the status is likely STATUS_WIRE_FAILED.

So I suspect that something goes wrong at USB level.
But unfortunately usb/umass drivers do not tell us anything.
So perhaps compiling and running umass with debug enabled could shed more light at
what is actually happening.  The code would have to be compiled with USB_DEBUG and
tunable/sysctl hw.usb.umass.debug would have to be set.
Maybe enabling overall usb debug would be a good idea too.

--
Andriy Gapon