Stale NFS file handles on 8.x amd64

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Sat Dec 4 23:39:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 06:33:06PM -0500, Rick Macklem wrote:

  > I'll give negnametimeo=0 a try on one server starting tonight, I'll be
  > busy tomorrow and don't want to risk making anything potentially worse
  > than it is yet. I can't figure out how to disable the attr cache in
  > FreeBSD. Neither suggestions seem to be valid, and years ago when I
  > looked into it I got the impression that you can't, but I'd love to be
  > proven wrong.

  I just looked and, yea, you are correct, in that the cached attributes
  are still used while NMODIFIED is set if the mtime isn't within the
  current second. (I'm not going to veture a guess as to why this is done
  at this time:-)

  But, "acregmon=0,acregmax=0,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=0" looks like it comes
  close, from a quick inspection of the code. I haven't tested this. You
  do have to set both min and max == 0, or max just gets set to min instead
  of 0. The *dir* ones apply to directories and the *reg* ones otherwise.

Ok.  I'm applying it right now (with s/mon/min/)

  > I'll try dotlock when I can. Would disabling statd and
  > lockd be the same as using nolock on all mounts?

  Nope. If you kill off lockd and statd without using the "nolock"
  option, I think all file lock operations will fail with ENOTSUPPORTED
  whereas when you mount with "nolock", the lock ops will be done locally
  in the client (ie seen by other processes in the same client, but not
  by other clients).

This last go around I told dovecot to use dotlock for more things, not just
Maildir files (apparently) and it apparently made it stop using fcntl because
it no longer complained when I temporarily stop lockd.  It did not help the
Stale files through, nor did turning off lockd, so I'm still hunting.

  > The vacation binary
  > is
  > the only thing I can think of that might use it, not sure how well it
  > would like missing it which is how I discovered I needed it in the
  > first
  > place. Also, if disabling lockd shows an improvement, could it lead to
  > further investigation or is it just a workaround?

  Well, it's a work around in the sense that you are avoiding the NLM and
  NSM protocols. These are fundamentally flawed protocol designs imho, but
  some folks find that they work ok for them. Imho, the two big flaws are:
  1 - Allowing a blocking lock in the server. Then what happens if the client
      is network partitioned when the server finally acquires the lock for
      the client? (NFSv4 only allows the server to block for a very short
      time before it replies. The client must "poll" until the lock is
      available, if the client app. allows blocking. In other works, the
      client does the blocking.)
  2 - It depends upon the NSM to decide if a node is up/down. I'm not
      sure what the NSM actually does, but it's along the lines of an IP
      broadcast to see if the other host(s) are responding and then sets
      up/down based on how recently it saw a message from a given host.
      (NFSv4 requires that the server recognize a lock request where the
       client had state that predates this boot and reply with an error
       that tells the client to recover its lock state using special
       variants of the lock ops. Imho, this does a much better job of
       making sure the server and clients maintain a consistent set of
       lock state. The server may throw away lock state for an NFSv4 client
       if it hasn't renewed the state within a lease time and then the client
       will be given an "expired" error to tell it that it has lost locks.
       This should only happen when a network partitioning exceeds the lease
       duration and, in the case of the FreeBSD NFSv4 server, it has also
       received a conflicting lock request from another client whose lease
       has not expired.)

I always appreciate learning more.  I have a fairly strict firewall in place
and don't see any denies related to rpc/nfs but I'll keep my eyes open.
I'm presently allowing all traffic between the client and the nfs server
on all ports, tcp and udp.  The firewall was put in place after the problems
started, as part of a different project.

  Probably a lot more glop than you expected, but I couldn't resist a chance
  to put in a plug for NFSv4 file locking. Btw, you could try NFSv4 mounts,
  since Netapp and the experimental FreeBSD8 client both support them.

I'll keep that in mind too, I tried it a while back before the revamp.
>From a firewall standpoint (all around), I would love to get rid of v3
when the time comes.  Although, I would probably invest my time into testing
dovecot v2 where the author tries to keep users on their own server anyway.
Either would probably be a bigger project.  I have some solaris clients that
are too smart for their own good for example and broke when I enabled v4 on
the netapp in the past (permission issues).

  Good lock (oh, I meant luck:-) with it, rick

HA ha :)