Fwd: Re: Fail to use Dtrace on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 00:22:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Zhihao Yuan <lichray at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK. Let's make this more clear: anyone has a working 8-2-PRERELEASE kernel
> (amd64 is preferred) with Dtrace supports, which can run the
> scripts/commands on the wiki? If so, please post your kernel configurations
> here, thanks.

I have an i386 system working:

FreeBSD d820.flick.local 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #2
r216091: Wed Dec  1 18:06:20 CST 2010
root at d820.flick.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/D820  i386

Just built the kernel and ran through some tests on the DTrace wiki page.

Incidentally, I had a tough time on my system running HEAD built with
clang. DTrace simply would not run properly until I built the kernel
with the base gcc. It was as if the kernel and userland were not in
sync, no matter what I tried (even netstat didn't work). Maybe you
need to clean EVERYTHING, checkout a clean source tree (if you've been
mucking around in there), and rebuild and install kernel and world.

I wish I could help more, but I'm still just a newb in a lot of respects...

-Brandon