"8.6 The Configuration File" out of date?

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 09:43:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Rob <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if somebody add/remove the kernel options that
> came & went with FreeBSD 8.0.
>
> For example:
>
> Those that seemed to have disappeared:
>
> machine        i386

What architecture was this for -- amd64, i386, etc?

> options          GEOM_GPT

Should be GEOM_PART_GPT

> options          COMPAT_43

Eh...? This still should be in there according to NOTES.

> options          ADAPTIVE_GIANT

Yes, this should be removed.

> New ones that appeared in GENERIC
> (at least: they are not discussed in the Handbook, 8.6):
>
> options        SCTP
> options         UFS_GJOURNAL
> options         GEOM_PART_GPT
> options         GEOM_LABEL
> options         COMPAT_43TTY
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD6
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD7
> options         STACK
> options         P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES
> options         PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=128

    These are all discussed in sys/conf/NOTES though, so they
definitely need to be updated in the handbook.
    I'd file a PR with your findings and assign it to the doc category.
Thanks for the keen eyes :)!
-Garrett