em regression, UDP LOR followed by ssh stall

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Apr 16 09:28:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:18:56AM +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> with RELENG_8 from 6 weeks ago I never ran into the problem that my
> ssh connection stalled.
> With today's RELENG_8 it reproducably hangs at first login. After
> some time I can open another ssh session which seems to stay without
> problems, but the first sessions is always dying a few seconds after
> login.
> here's a LOR:
> {snip}

The e1000/em driver was recently modified (heavily).  I saw the large
number of commits come across in a csup a few weeks ago, and there's
even more coming across in recent days (~38 hours ago):

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/e1000/

This is the 2nd problem report to come in about the recent e1000/em
changes.  Because of this, I've avoided building kernel on all of my
systems, and would recommend others avoid doing the same until these
problems can get worked out.

Jack, can you shed some light on what's going on here?