CPU problems after 8.0-STABLE update

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed Apr 14 17:10:16 UTC 2010

on 14/04/2010 19:41 Akephalos said the following:

> You won't believe this, Andriy! It didn't work (top, top -P) after I rebooted
> my computer with that acpi option and machdep.lapic_allclocks explicitely set
> to zero. _However_, by reasons unknown, my computer time is offseting randomly
> and it happened that I saw my time showed as midnight, although it's seven in
> the evening. /etc/rc.d/ntpdate onerestart - and voila! Top shows correctly.
> Disabling all those options in loader.conf, the behavior is the same, top - and
> therefore powerd work after starting ntpdate.

Indeed, that almost sounds too good to be true :-)
Couple of questions:
1. Could you please check in dmesg if hpet attaches normally now or still has an
error?
2. Do you have to run ntpdate after each power-off or is everything OK after the
first run?
3. Have you ever set time on this machine before (in BIOS, other OS, etc)?
4. Can you please double-check that  lapic_allclocks is zero in kernel?
You can run 'kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel /dev/mem' and then 'print lapic_allclocks'

Thanks!
--
Andriy Gapon