Only 70% of theoretical peak performance on FreeBSD 8/amd64, Corei7 920

Andrew Snow als at modulus.org
Tue Apr 13 05:53:19 UTC 2010

The statements about the scheduler flipping between cores is also
somewhat false, ULE does the right thing now for long-running
computational threads.

Furthermore, I can't see how a Gflops benchmark which fits in the CPU
cache has anything to do with the memory architecture of the operating
system.

I assume to reach these results the benchmark was multi-threaded, and so
I think I'd start by looking at the scheduler.

Before that I'd probably look at the libraries, how they were compiled,
differences in the compiler etc.

- Andrew