Only 70% of theoretical peak performance on FreeBSD 8/amd64, Corei7 920

Antony Mawer lists at mawer.org
Mon Apr 12 13:58:20 UTC 2010

This may well be the same sort of issue that was discussed in this thread here:

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-March/031004.html

In short, the Core i7 CPUs have a feature called "TurboBoost" where
the clock speed of one or more cores is boosted when other cores are
idle and in a C2 or C3 sleep status ... if the appropriate power
saving mode isn't active on the system (which I don't think FreeBSD
does by default?), the idle cores are never put into the appropriate
power saving state, and as a result TurboBoost never kicks in...

It _may_ be that Ubuntu configures this correctly whereas FreeBSD does
not (out of the box)?

Of course it may be something else entirely, but worth checking out...

--Antony