[ HEADS UP ] Ports unstable for the next 10 days

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Thu Apr 8 13:06:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 07:42:06AM -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:20:47 -0500
> > Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  [ .. ]
> >
> >> ===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod
> >>         ===>>> This port is marked IGNORE
> >>         ===>>> requires the userland sources to be installed. Set
> >> SRC_BASE if it is not in /usr/src
> >>
> >>         ===>>> If you are sure you can build it, remove the
> >>                IGNORE line in the Makefile and try again.
> >>
> >> ===>>> Update for sysutils/fusefs-kmod failed
> >> ===>>> Aborting update
> >
> >  [ .. ]
> >> What should I do in this case?
> >
> > First, please don't top post.
> >
> > Second, you don't seem to have the base sources installed and that
> > port, being a kernel module, needs them.
> > See:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
> >
> > --
> > IOnut - Un^d^dregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"
> >  "Intellectual Property" is   nowhere near as valuable   as "Intellect"
> > FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B
> >

> Dear Ion-Mihai,
>
> I have installed cvsup, but I don't really understand the page that I
> was refered to
>
> ===> SECURITY REPORT:
>       This port has installed the following files which may act as network
>       servers and may therefore pose a remote security risk to the system.
> /usr/local/sbin/cvsupd
> /usr/local/bin/cvsup
> /usr/local/bin/cvpasswd
>
>       If there are vulnerabilities in these programs there may be a security
>       risk to the system. FreeBSD makes no guarantee about the security of
>       ports included in the Ports Collection. Please type 'make deinstall'
>       to deinstall the port if this is a concern.
>
>       For more information, and contact details about the security
>       status of this software, see the following webpage:
> http://www.cvsup.org/
> ===>  Cleaning for ezm3-1.1_2
> ===>  Cleaning for cvsup-without-gui-16.1h_4
>
> I have installed it using ports system, but still get same error as
> above.  I try to use cvsup the file, I get nothing, I try to go to the
> port that refuses to update and make install clean and it says source
> not available or refused?
>
> I have used ports before and had no problems, I don't know what to do.
>
> Thank you and others who have provided help.
>
> *Sorry for top posting

You didn't need to install cvsup from ports.  csup in the base system
will work just fine; it's the official replacement for cvsup.  itetcu@
was pointing you to the documentation describing the procedure for using
cvsup/csup.

Based on the thread so far, my understanding is that you need to
download the FreeBSD source repository (kernel, base system, etc.),
because the port you're trying to build (which is a kernel module)
requires it.

There are two cvsup files associated with the source repo:

/usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

Which you should use depends on if you're running -RELEASE or -STABLE.
The most important part in those files is the "*default release=cvs
tag=XXX".  Specifically the "tag=XXX" part.

8.0-RELEASE's tag is RELENG_8_0, while 8.0-STABLE's tag is RELENG_8.
So which tag you use should be based on what version you wish to run.

So at this point, you should:

1) pkg_delete ezm3-1.1_2
2) pkg_delete cvsup-without-gui-16.1h_4
3) csup -h <some cvsup server> -L 2 /usr/share/example/cvsup/stable-supfile
   or
   csup -h <some cvsup server> -L 2 /usr/share/example/cvsup/standard-supfile

This will populate /usr/src on your system.  From there, you should be
able to build ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod as normal without any problem.

Does this help explain things better?