CPU problems after 8.0-STABLE update

Akephalos akephalos.akephalos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 13:59:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 15:02:29 +0300
Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:

> > # dmesg | grep -B 5 -A 5 -i rtc
> > acpi_button0: <Sleep Button> on acpi0
> > acpi_button1: <Power Button> on acpi0
> > acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
> > battery0: <ACPI Control Method Battery> on acpi0
> > acpi_acad0: <AC Adapter> on acpi0
> > atrtc0: <AT realtime clock> port 0x70-0x71 irq 8 on acpi0
> > atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
> > atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
> > kbd0 at atkbd0
> > atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> > atkbd0: [ITHREAD]
> > ---
>
> Is this before or after setting machdep.lapic_allclocks?
> If after, could you please check what happens without the change?

Anriy, it is _before_ setting it. I just disabled it and checked again to make sure. With the option set, the result is the same it seems, unless I ovelooked some little digit.

> > This seems to be the solution, is this a bug should I report or leave
> > things like this?
>
> Bug report never hurts :-)
> Could you please tell us what system us this (motherboard model)?
> Also, could you post output of acpidump -dt?
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Andriy Gapon

About this system:

ASUS K50AB laptop and mainboard
CPU (dmesg): AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-84 (2299.13-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x200f31  Family = 11  Model = 3  Stepping = 1
  Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x2001<SSE3,CX16>
  AMD Features=0xea500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
  AMD Features2=0x131f<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,Prefetch,OSVW,SKINIT>
  TSC: P-state invariant
Video: Radeon HD 4570, 512 MB
RAM: 4 Gb (DDR2, I think)
HDD (dmesg): ad4: 238475MB <Hitachi HTS543225L9A300 FBEOC40C> at ata2-master UDMA100 SATA 3Gb/s
---

I attached you my acpidump result.
---

I'll see about the report after I rebuild the base system again.
Thank you man!
---

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:51:47 +0200
Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Uhm, may you tell me which revision did you update to? May you update
> to the latest now, recompile your kernel, remove the hint
> machdep.lapic_allclocks and report if it works or not?
>
> Thanks,
> Attilio
>

> --
> Peace can only be achieved by understanding - A. Einstein

Attilio, if you ask me about the CVS version of the source, I'm afraid I don't know where to take that from. But here's my `uname -a` result, there's the build date where you can find out the version, please tell me if there's something else to help:

FreeBSD free.bsd369441.org 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Tue Apr  6 01:10:20 EEST 2010     root at free.bsd369441.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
---

I will recompile the kernel these days and come back to you.

Thanks a lot!
Mihai

--
Akephalos <akephalos.akephalos at gmail.com>