fault tolerant web servers on freebsd

Marek 'Buki' Kozlovský dev at null.cz
Wed Apr 7 13:39:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:37:14AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
[snip]
> >> Out of curiosity: have you considered MySQL Cluster:
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL_Cluster
> >> http://www.mysql.com/products/database/cluster/faq.html
> >>
> >> If yes, can you share your evaluation results?
> >> Thanks!
>
> You need at least three machines to build a MySQL cluster; preferably
> more like 6 or 7.  All of your data has to fit in RAM on those machines
> and you need at least two copies of each item of data for resilience, so
> don't bother trying this with anything other than a well populated 64bit
> box.  Also, if /all/ of your servers crash at the same time (power
> problems tend to have this result) then your data has gone *poof* and
> you'll be restoring from backup.  You did remember to set up a regular
> job to create snapshots of the clustered data didn't you?

two machines will suffice. Of course, prefferably more :)
Data no longer need to fit into memory, IIRC. Only indexes must.

We were running MySQL cluster in production few years back (with 4.x MySQL -
when the data had to fit in mem) and it was quite usable.

> Cluster tends to be slower than what you can achieve with straight MySQL
> on the same hardware.

unfortunately, I didn't perform any test.

> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
>                                                   Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
>                                                   Kent, CT11 9PW

more on the topic at http://www.mysql.com/products/database/cluster/