CPU problems after 8.0-STABLE update

Akephalos Akephalos akephalos.akephalos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 11:51:02 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org> wrote:

> What architecture is it?
> May you try setting machdep.lapic_allclocks to 1 in /boot/loader.conf?
> May you report #dmesg | grep atrtc
>

> Thanks,
> Attilio
>

> --
> Peace can only be achieved by understanding - A. Einstein

# dmesg | grep -B 5 -A 5 -i rtc
acpi_button0: <Sleep Button> on acpi0
acpi_button1: <Power Button> on acpi0
acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
battery0: <ACPI Control Method Battery> on acpi0
acpi_acad0: <AC Adapter> on acpi0
atrtc0: <AT realtime clock> port 0x70-0x71 irq 8 on acpi0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
atkbd0: [ITHREAD]
---

I set machdep.lapic_allclocks to 1 at statup - top works now!! I can see
both processors with top -P, btw, everything looks fine, although I get core
dump for xfce4-taskmanager and can't test it (it's probably related to
something else).
---

I started powerd - it scales the frequencies correctly now.

This seems to be the solution, is this a bug should I report or leave things
like this?

Thanks a lot!
Mihai