ldd manpage - example does not work

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 18:40:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Rainer Hurling <rhurlin at gwdg.de> wrote:
> The manpage for ldd(1) gives a nice example of finding binaries, which link
> against a given library, see
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ldd&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.0-RELEASE&format=html
>

> The example looks as follows:
>
> find . -type f | xargs -n1 file -F | grep ELF | cut -f1 -d' ' | xargs ldd -f
> '%A %o\n' | grep libc.so.6
>

> Unfortunately this example does not work for me. Is seems that the part with
> xargs does not output anything and so is the showstopper (?)
>
> It would be nice if someone could give me some advice what is wrong here.

1. The file(1) usage looks incorrect (I get a lot of messages like the
following):

Usage: file [-bcikLhnNrsvz0] [-e test] [-f namefile] [-F separator]
[-m magicfiles] file...
       file -C -m magicfiles
Try `file --help' for more information.

2. It's no longer libc.so.6 for many versions of FreeBSD; it can
potentially be libc.so.7...

HTH,
-Garrett