Excessivly cheap USB device issue

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Sep 29 05:05:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >I also have a similar device, which I've been messing with a bit the
> >last couple of days.  In your case, it isn't seeing the media, just
> > the "drive".  I've had to try various combinations of unplugging
> > the adapter from usb, inserting the media then plugging it back in.
> >  It does seem to work fairly reliably if you boot with the media
> > already inserted, but it doesn't seem to detect media change at
> > all.
>
> I get around it (on my cheap reader) by  always doing a
> cat /dev/null > /dev/da1
> whever I change or insert new media into the reader
>
> That seems to work with the gear I have 99% of the time.

Hmm OK, I sort of expected fdisk da1 to fail straightaway though (it
takes ~30 seconds to fail for me).

I have unplugged it for now, it interacts annoyingly with SANE because
that scans the SCSI bus(es) looking for scanner and each umass takes
30+ seconds to fail.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum