Laggy X11 after updating to 8.0-RC1

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Sep 29 01:29:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Rohit Grover wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Rohit Grover wrote:
>>
>>> I have upgraded to 8.0-RC1 (from 7.2-STABLE) on my MacBook 4,1. I did
>>> so by checking out stable/8 under /usr/src, rebuilding kernel/world,
>>> and using portupgrade to update all installed ports from packages
>>> available on the 8.0RC1 DVD-iso.
>>>
>>> Since the update, my X11 is laggy. Now, I often have to move the mouse
>>> before keystrokes/button presses take effect.
>>
>> Make sure hal and dbus are enabled in rc.conf and running.  In xorg.conf,
>> remove Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off".
>>
>> A bonus of using hal is that you can remove the keyboard and mouse sections
>> from xorg.conf.
>>
>>> As I've mentioned, I've updated the kernel/world, and updated
>>> libpciaccess. Perhaps I'm having issues because I need to remove old
>>> libs. How do I remove old libs?
>>
>> cd /usr/src
>> make check-old-libs
>> make delete-old-libs
>

> I deleted old libs using 'make delete-old-libs' from /usr/src, but
> that has led to many other problems.
> It seems many libraries currently in use were deleted in the process.
> I'm having to rebuild/reinstall many of my applications to get them
> working again.

When upgrading from one major release of FreeBSD to another, the
standard recommendation is to delete all installed applications
(pkg_delete -a) and then reinstall everything.  There may be some
incantation of portupgrade or portmaster that will do it.  pkg_libchk
from sysutils/bsdadminscripts may help.  But that is likely to take
longer than just pkg_delete -a and reinstalling applications.