FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE boot freeze when calibrating clock.

kama kama at pvp.se
Wed Sep 23 12:47:45 UTC 2009

> > I see that there are a newer BIOS on the HP homepage for this DL385. I
> > will try to update the BIOS later this week.
> >
> > The servers are not up to be in production until early november, so there
> > are some time to test things.
> >

> I specifically meant this message:
> link_elf: symbol AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo undefined
>
> $ glimpse AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo
> /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica/dmobject.c:  * FUNCTION:    AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo
> /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica/dmobject.c: AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo (
> /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica/dsmethod.c:         AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo (Status,
> WalkState, WalkState->Op);
> /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica/acdisasm.h: AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo (
>
> So this function is both defined and used only inside acpi code (vendor part of it).
> The error you get does not seem to be a run-time condition.
> It seems to be a system build/install issue (and it looks like the issue is unique
> to you).
> I am almost out of guesses, maybe you have stale acpi.ko module in some modules
> directory.
>
> Hmm, one last idea - maybe you have something like "build modules with world"
> option and also perhaps ACPI_DEBUG is defined somewhere?

No, this is a clean installed system. Nothing in make.conf or src.conf.
And loader.conf is empty.

> It could be that something gets out of sync with respect to ACPI_DISASSEMBLER macro.
> Output of the following command may be useful:
> $ nm -A /boot/kernel/* | fgrep AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo

g24# nm -A /boot/kernel/* | fgrep AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo
/boot/kernel/acpi.ko:         U AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo
/boot/kernel/acpi.ko.symbols:         U AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo
nm: /boot/kernel/linker.hints: File format not recognized
g24#

> Could you please try investigating this? Maybe even include acpi into kernel?

Just adding 'device acpi' into the generic kernel made it boot
successfully. (without KDB DDB ACPI_DEBUG)

Here are the outputfiles suggested from the webpage:

http://fbsd-err.pvp.se/acpidump_acpi_compiled.asl
http://fbsd-err.pvp.se/dmesg_acpi_compiled.txt
http://fbsd-err.pvp.se/sysctl_acpi_compiled.txt

Please let me know what else to test or if you want more data...

Later today I will head over to the datacenter to swap a failed disk and
will then also update the BIOS on these servers. I'll post a message how
that goes later tonight.

/Bjorn