gconcat file system damage

Alban Hertroys dalroi at solfertje.student.utwente.nl
Fri Sep 11 08:57:26 UTC 2009

On 11 Sep 2009, at 5:45, Andrew Snow wrote:

> Peter C. Lai wrote:
>> What is the status of growfs(8) then?
>
> As far as I can tell, it doesn't work reliably with UFS2 partitions,
> and it doesn't work at all with large partitions.
>
> People who do try to use it, can end up with corrupted
> filesystems... and the code is currently unmaintained.

Aha, I forgot about that step, but I did indeed use growfs to expand
it. Is there any way to repair the corruption without erasing my data,
or do I need to buy an external disk to backup to first (which I need
for backups anyway)? If so, what's the pattern of the corruption? Is
it likely to only start after a certain size?

Lastly, having a tool in the base system that causes these kinds of
issues doesn't seem like a very good idea. growfs does issue a warning
that made me read the bugs section in the man page. That section
points to an ffsinfo command that I ran on the filesystem in question,
but it appears to be alright:

===== START CYLINDER SUMMARY =====
# 0 at 28202000: 0. csum in fscs
ndir   int32_t 0x00000001
nbfree int32_t 0x00002474
nifree int32_t 0x00005bfd
nffree int32_t 0x0000000d
===== END CYLINDER SUMMARY =====

The filesystem is 740G, which seems to fit in the 'critical data
structure'; 1480 < 0x2474...

Or is this a different (and undocumented) issue?

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is the best way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:74,4aaa10f412071914714074!