gconcat file system damage

Alban Hertroys dalroi at solfertje.student.utwente.nl
Thu Sep 10 12:50:58 UTC 2009

Hello,

I recently added two disks to the mirror on my 3ware 9550 controller
with the intend to expand my mirror. It doesn't support that with
differently sized disks though, so I ended up creating a new mirror
and gconcat-ed them together. Now I'm seeing lots of UNKNOWN FILETYPE
and PARTIAL somethings if fsck verifies the disk, all in subsequent
inodes so it looks like fsck gets some offset wrong somewhere. It
started with a number of SOFTUPDATE INCONSISTENCY's, which of course
went away after disabling softupdates on that FS (it's hardly ever
written to anyway).

I originally created the concatted disk in two steps. First I created
the concat on my new mirrored disks and copied the files from my
existing mirror in there. Second I appended the existing mirror to my
concatted disk. It seemed to work fine, but now I'm seeing so much
errors that I can only mount the concat r/o!

Is there anything I can do to fix the issue? World is a stable from
just after the 7.2 release, I'm building a fresh one now.

Here are a few details:

 > uname -a
FreeBSD solfertje.student.utwente.nl 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #1:
Thu Sep 10 01:34:44 CEST 2009     dalroi at solfertje.student.utwente.nl:/
usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ERGOPROXY  i386

 > gconcat list
Geom name: media
State: UP
Type: AUTOMATIC
ID: 1530457230
Providers:
1. Name: concat/media
    Mediasize: 819977973760 (764G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w0e1
Consumers:
1. Name: da0p1
    Mediasize: 319988660736 (298G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w0e2
    Start: 499989313536
    End: 819977973760
2. Name: da1p1
    Mediasize: 499989314048 (466G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r1w0e2
    Start: 0
    End: 499989313536

tw_cli output:

//solfertje> /c0 show

Unit  UnitType  Status         %RCmpl  %V/I/M  Stripe  Size(GB)
Cache  AVrfy
u0    RAID-1    OK             -       -       -       298.013
ON     OFF
u1    RAID-1    OK             -       -       -       465.651
ON     OFF

Port   Status           Unit   Size        Blocks        Serial
p0     OK               u1     465.76 GB   976773168     9VM18XZY
p1     OK               u0     298.09 GB   625142448     5QF383J7
p2     OK               u1     465.76 GB   976773168     9VM141ST
p3     OK               u0     298.09 GB   625142448     9QF3Z5LM

//solfertje> /c0 show unitstatus

Unit  UnitType  Status         %RCmpl  %V/I/M  Stripe  Size(GB)
Cache  AVrfy
u0    RAID-1    OK             -       -       -       298.013
ON     OFF
u1    RAID-1    OK             -       -       -       465.651
ON     OFF

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is the best way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:74,4aa8f20512071992670156!