Detecting CPU throttling on over temperature

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 9 13:16:17 UTC 2009

Robert Noland wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 17:47 +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

>>> There indeed problems with MB monitoring, as it is non-standard. But
>>> modern CPUs also include on-chip thermal sensors. For Core2Duo family
>>> coretemp module works fine and precisely.
>> Ahh coretemp, I had forgotten about that.
>>
>> I did a test on the bench (on a 7.2 system) here and realised that I
>> can't actually detect throttling. coretemp reported 72 & 78C but the
>> frequency was still 2933MHz.
>>
>> I am pretty sure it would be throttling but I think that works by
>> maintaining the frequency but stalling the CPU some percentage of the
>> time. I have p4tcc loaded (in GENERIC) but it doesn't show up, I only
>> get..
>
> Is this a core2duo?  IIRC, they generally don't go into TCC until around
> 100C.  I did pull the c2d cpu docs at one point trying to look at
> cpufreq.  If you are bored, you can grab the docs from intel and double
> check.

AFAIR C2D supports three protection technologies. When CPU is hot, it
starts reducing frequency (multiplier) and voltage, alike to IEST. If it
is insufficient, it starts to skip core cycles, alike to TCC. If it is
still insufficient and temperature rises above about 100C, emergency
shutdown happens.

--
Alexander Motin