zfs kernel panic

Danny Carroll fbsd at dannysplace.net
Wed Sep 9 10:10:13 UTC 2009

On 9/09/2009 6:33 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:07:15AM +0200, Gerrit Kühn wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 18:44:13 +0200 Pawel Jakub Dawidek<pjd at FreeBSD.org>
>> wrote about Re: zfs kernel panic:
>>
>> PJD>  If this is amd64, add vm.kmem_size="4G" to your loader.conf back.
>>
>> What about vm.kmem_size_max? Does that also need tuning?
>>
> No, this should be auto-tuned to some very large value.

Pawel (et al),

Would it be possible for you to post to the list your ideas of a
complete set of tuning parameters for ZFS on amd64?  I have used the
wiki article as a reference (http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide) but
it states that if you have > 2g ram and 7.2 then you do not need to tune
at all.

I for one would be interested in learning a little more about how the
memory should be tuned.  Specifically what might be interesting is to
know, once a parameter is set, is there an easy way to find out how it's
being used? i.e. If you start limiting the arc, is is possible to know
what sort of hit/miss rate you are getting.

-D