ZFS on top of GELI / Intel Atom 330 system

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Fri May 29 11:34:58 UTC 2009

Now that I have evaluated the numbers and my needs a bit, I am really
confused about what appropriate course of action for me would be.

1) Use ZFS without GELI and hope that zfs-crypto get implemented in
Solaris and ported to FreeBSD "soon" and that when it does, it won't
come with such a dramatic performance decrease as GELI/ZFS seems to
result in.
2) Go ahead with the original plan of using GELI/ZFS and grind my
teeth at the 24 MB/s read speed off a single disk.

>> So basically on this system:
>>
>> unencrypted ZFS read: ~70 MB/s per disk
>>
>> 128bit Blowfish GELI/ZFS write: 35 MB/s per disk
>> 128bit Blowfish GELI/ZFS read: 24 MB/s per disk

> I'm in the same spot as you, planning to build a home NAS. I have
> settled for graid5/geli but haven't yet decided if I would benefit most
> from a dual core CPU at 3+ GHz or a quad core at 2.6. Budget is a concern...

Our difference is that my hardware is already ordered and Intel Atom
330 + D945GCLF2 + 2GB ram is what it's going to have :)

- Dan Naumov