ZFS on top of GELI / Intel Atom 330 system

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Fri May 29 10:13:05 UTC 2009

Thank you for your numbers, now I know what to expect when I get my
new machine, since our system specs look identical.

So basically on this system:

unencrypted ZFS read: ~70 MB/s per disk

128bit Blowfish GELI/ZFS write: 35 MB/s per disk
128bit Blowfish GELI/ZFS read: 24 MB/s per disk

I am curious what part of GELI is so inefficient to cause such a
dramatic slowdown. In comparison, my home desktop is a

C2D E6600 2,4 Ghz, 4GB RAM, Intel DP35DP, 1 x 1,5TB Seagate Barracuda
- Windows Vista x64 SP1

Read/Write on an unencrypted NTFS partition: ~85 MB/s
Read/Write on a Truecrypt AES-encrypted NTFS partition: ~65 MB/s

As you can see, the performance drop is noticeable, but not anywhere
nearly as dramatic.

- Dan Naumov