NFS on ZFS

Mike Andrews mandrews at bit0.com
Thu May 28 02:24:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Mike Andrews wrote:

> Takahashi Yoshihiro wrote:
>> Today's stable has a problem creating a new file via NFS on ZFS.
>>
>> On the NFS server, there is no problem.
>>
>> % cd /ZFS
>> % mktemp hoge
>> hoge
>> % ls -l hoge
>> -rw-------  1 nyan  nyan  0  5 26 19:09 hoge
>>

>> But it's a problem on the NFS client.
>>
>> # mount server:/ZFS /ZFS
>> % cd /ZFS
>> % mktemp hoge
>> mktemp: mkstemp failed on hoge: Input/output error
>> % ls -l hoge
>> ----------  1 nyan  wheel  0  5 26 19:09 hoge
>>
>> The file has a wrong permission.
>>
>> This problem is only on stable, current has no problem.
>
> I'm seeing this too.  It seems so far to be limited to mkstemp() -- just
> copying files normally works.  For example /usr/bin/install -S fails, without
> -S works, if the target is an NFS+ZFS volume.

Anyone?

I've verified that if the NFS server uses UFS2, mkstemp() from an NFS
client to the server works fine, but if the NFS server uses ZFS, the NFS
server returns EIO after creating a file with 000 permissions.

In addition to breaking /usr/bin/install -S, it also breaks rsync over NFS.

I don't yet know if it matters whether the on-disk format is ZFS v6 vs v13.