I've borked my ZFS system upgrading to -STABLE

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed May 27 16:49:58 UTC 2009

Hey all,

In short, I've got a system with /boot on a USB thumb drive that I boot
from, which then mounts root and the rest of the system from a 4-disk
ZFS storage pool.

However, during the upgrade, something didn't go quite right, and now
when I boot, I end up with:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found required by sh

...at the "Enter full path of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh#" prompt.

Hitting return repeats the cycle.

Rebooting to the old kernel does not help, as it was the installworld
that failed.

I can boot the box using alternate media, but I can't figure out the
procedure to mount the ZFS pool into the filesystem.

This box is a running-backup box, so I'm not overly concerned about the
data, but I would like to learn how to properly get to the data if this
situation arises in the future.

Can someone provide some pointers on how to do this without destroying
the pool?

Steve