on 'btxld: zfsboot.ldr: Invalid argument' again

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed May 27 14:59:26 UTC 2009

on 27/05/2009 17:48 Ruben van Staveren said the following:

> On 27 May 2009, at 16:11, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>

>> So I have LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT=yes in make.conf, building the most
>> recent stable/7
>> and I am getting:
>> btxld -v -E 0x2000 -f bin -b
>> /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsboot/../btx/btx/btx
>> -l zfsboot.ldr  -o zfsboot.ld -P 1 zfsboot.bin
>> btxld: zfsboot.ldr: Invalid argument
>>
>> The problem seems to be that /usr/bin/btxld can not properly
>
> Shouldn't it be able to bootstrap itself using the btxld from the
> current build instead of what is installed ?

Yes, it should be able, but not automagically.
As des@ explained to me, for this to happen the following is needed:
1. bump FreeBSD_version in sys/param.h
2. add/update _btxld BOOTSTRAPPING check in Makefile.inc1
If the above is done then btxld is built as a faux-cross-tool if/when necessary.

--
Andriy Gapon