ZFS MFC heads down

Navdeep Parhar nparhar at gmail.com
Wed May 20 23:57:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Kip Macy <kmacy at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Kip Macy <kmacy at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> I will be MFC'ing the newer ZFS support some time this afternoon. Both
>> world and kernel will need to be re-built. Existing pools will
>> continue to work without upgrade.
>>

>> If you choose to upgrade a pool to take advantage of new features you
>> will no longer be able to use it with sources prior to today. 'zfs
>> send/recv' is not expected to inter-operate between different pool
>> versions.
>

> The MFC went in r192498. Please let me know if you have any problems.

Not really a problem but a question:  Is the v13 on-disk format
exactly the same as that used by Solaris/Opensolaris?  Does this make
it possible to have a ZFS-only dual boot system running FreeBSD-stable
and Solaris, with a shared home directory between the two
environments?  Has anyone tried anything like this?

Regards,
Navdeep