failed to set mtrr: invalid argument

Chris H chris# at 1command.com
Tue May 19 16:58:14 UTC 2009

Quoting Dimitry Andric <dimitry at andric.com>:

> On 2009-05-19 08:40, Chris H wrote:
>> I see. Well I'm specifically using the nv driver. Here's another
>> attempt to provide the relevant info:
>
> I could not find the error message from $subject in these logs.  Where
> is it? :)

If I had found it, I would have better known what direction to travel
to overcome it. :)
Aparently Xorg wants to keep it a secret - I saw no "argument".

The closest possible answer I can come up with, involves "write combining"
and provinding some information in /proc/mtrr
But I only have /proc and nothing in it. Thought about echo(1)ing
the information to mtrr. But don't understand the whole thing well
enough to /dare/ do it. I only know it involves something in this
area:

0xfd000000/16777216, 0xf0000000/134217728, 0xfa580000/524288

out of the Xorg log. I'm also not sure if GENERIC knows how to handle
mtrr (Memory Type Range Registers) ideally. I hadn't built world/kernel
yet because there are also some issues on the ATA ports that need to be
resolved. I started a theread on this earlier.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

--Chris H