FreeBSD 7.1-Stable i386 and Samsung Syncmaster 2233SN 1920 x 1080 LCD Monitor

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Thu May 14 08:10:17 UTC 2009

Dear All ,

To the Intel DG965WH main board
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965wh/

I attached a Samsung Syncmaster  2233SN 1920 x 1080 21.5 inches LCD analog
monitor
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=itbusiness&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS22CMYKF/EN

OS : FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE-200902 i386 ,
On Board Graphic Chip : Intel G965 SVGA Controller ( analog ) .

Previous Monitor : Philips 109B6 CRT with 1600 x 1200 resolution .

On start-up , when Gnome started ( or before its start ) monitor change
detected and
a little later four sides of the monitor become black bands having
approximately 6 cm width  .

Middle rectangle filled full of black and grey solid character rectangles
like a checker board . The PC locked and did not accept Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
key .

By resetting it with reset button ,  it booted again with display of Gnome
screen correctly in 1920 x 1080 screen display and mode settings  . It
worked approximately more than a few minutes without responding to mouse
clicks promptly . Then started to normal working . Subsequent re-boots again
worked very well .

Up to now , mostly I did not mention comparisons of my experiences with
other operating systems with the fear that they may be found unnecessary .
Now I am thinking that some comparisons may be very useful . These are open
source systems and cross references may be found in the following links (
perhaps among others ) :

http://fxr.watson.org/
http://lxr.sourceforge.net/
http://lxr.linux.no/

In that way , it is possible to have other sources to study and compare .

I tried the above monitor with Kubuntu 9.04 ( 64 bits ) . On start , Kubuntu
9.04 detected monitor change and after Auto adjust progress bar completion (
display of  monitor hardware ) , it instantly set the display sizes and
monitor mode correctly to 1920 X 1080 without any display distortion .

Fedora 10 ( 64 bits ) Linux , CentOS 5.3  (  64 bits ) Linux , and
OpenSolaris 2008.11 Unix , all detected monitor change , but , three of them
set the sreen display and monitor mode sizes to 1680 x 1050 . In their
Screen Resolution setting menu . largest available size was 1680 x 1050 and
other smaller sizes . Presing Auto button of the monitor did not change the
display structure .

Mandriva Linux Free 2008.0 and 2009.1 ( 32 bits ) . both detected monitor
change . Set the display size to 1920 X 1080 but set the monitor mode to
1680 X 1050 losing both sides of the screen ( showing only the middle
portion ) . Pressing Auto button of the monitor caused a momentarily full of
screen show but changed to the above state .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk