File system corruption

Maciej Milewski milu at dat.pl
Wed May 13 09:42:58 UTC 2009

Tuesday 12 May 2009 20:10:57 Pat Wendorf napisał(a):
> I have a co-lo server I've been maintaining for a few years now running IDE
> drives on a mostly terrible UPS.  A few months ago, when it returned from a
> power outage (running 6.2-R) I started noticing the following in my daily
> security email:
>
> Checking setuid files and devices:
> find:
> /var/db/portsnap/files/2dc95ddff37a8091239e83bf7e3ce5a2c285b027891ced1919d7
>6c9947c5b7db.gz: Bad file descriptor
> find:
> /var/db/portsnap/files/52abe8c91385b12272f13f4d20896067d9ba70bdec1fa2575025
>858bd3e93718.gz: Bad file descriptor
> find: /var/lost+found/#238237: Bad file descriptor
>
> I verified that these files return the same result when trying to do any
> operation on them (including ls in the directory).
>
> I've managed to ignore the problem for a while now, and even upgraded to
> 7.2, but I'm not sure if it will cause problems later on.  So the question
> is, without access to the console, how would I fix this?

I think tere is a need for fsck on this partition.
/var is used by many daemons for logging, mailqueue etc., so maybe the first
thing to do would be to stop as many daemons as possible and leaving only ssh
to get to this system remotely?
I really don't know how much dangerous could be unmounting /var on a live
system in such case.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Maciej Milewski