Xorg hangs with drmwtq in 7.2-RELEASE

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue May 12 18:52:38 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 08:17:51 am Robert Noland wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 18:41 -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> > On Friday 08 May 2009 03:31:04 pm Robert Noland wrote:
> > > In order to guess what might be causing this, drm debugging needs to be
> > > enabled before the hang, so that we can hopefully figure out what leads
> > > up to the hung GPU.
> >
> > I'm not able to do that, but I did manage to get debug turned on and
> > dmesg captured early enough to catch some additional information. I've
> > place the full file online at http://www.usermode.org/misc/dmesg.txt, but
> > am including some snippets here. Hopefully this is enough to move
> > forward.
> >
> > --
> > David Johnson
>
> This trace still looks odd...

This should have been a single trace, with debugging turned after X was hung.
I turned debug on once, grabbed output of dmesg, then rebooted.

1) Run script to launch four windows in rapid succession.
2) Only two windows manage to make it up before X hangs.
3) Switch over to laptop, which is ssh'd into system
4) sysctl hw.drm.0.debug=1
5) dmesg > dmesg.txt
6) Done

I may have made a mistake though, and briefly turned on debugging earlier in
the session. I'll get another trace this evening when I have time, to double
check.

p.s. I've put 7.1-STABLE from March 13th on a different partition. I will add
in commits until it breaks, to help narrow it down. I'm fairly sure it was
something on the 15th or 16th.

--
David Johnson