"maxproc limit exceeded" making no sense

Eduardo Meyer dudu.meyer at gmail.com
Fri May 8 14:18:41 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have a problem which makes no sense to me, at least not the way I
understand. My mail server is compaining about maxproc limit:

# tail /var/log/messages
May  8 10:34:15 mx kernel: maxproc limit exceeded by uid 82, please
see tuning(7) and
login.conf(5).
May  8 10:34:38 mx last message repeated 12 times
May  8 10:35:14 mx last message repeated 18 times
May  8 10:36:32 mx last message repeated 41 times
May  8 10:36:35 mx kernel: maxproc limit exceeded by uid 82, please
see tuning(7) and
login.conf(5).

My maxproc as well as maxfiles are artificially raised (a lot raised):

# sysctl kern.maxfiles
kern.maxfiles: 80000

# sysctl kern.maxfilesperproc
kern.maxfilesperproc: 80000

# sysctl kern.maxproc
kern.maxproc: 9000

# sysctl kern.maxprocperuid
kern.maxprocperuid: 80000

However what I see regarding proc usage is by uid 82 is:

# ps -U 82 | wc -l
     723

Proccess count for UID 82 is never highter than 913 (monitored the
last whole hour, while log messages were still showing, complaining
about maxproc limit beeing exceeded).

I would like to understand and figure out what I need to tune in order
to raise the current limit, and also find what the current limit is.

Thank you a lot and in advance.

--
Eduardo Meyer
pessoal: dudu.meyer at gmail.com